Pac-Man Xtreme is a ROMhack of the Namco version of Ms. Pac-Man for the Nintendo NES. Officially released by KaBooM! on September 17 2016, it is much more than a simple maze/level hack. Pac-Man Xtreme introduces new features, functions, and selectable options which make playing it a truly unique experience. Almost every single aspect of the original Ms. Pac-Man game has been altered… graphics, sounds and music, levels, even gameplay mechanics. In essence, Pac-Man Xtreme is a new commercial-quality game reprogrammed around Ms. Pac-Man’s engine and is thus virtually unrecognizable from its predecessor.
NEW FEATURES AND FUNCTIONS:
- Thirty-two new Stages based on twenty-eight original maze designs.
- Stages arranged into eight distinct Zones composed of four Levels each.
- Seven brand new prizes to chase around the mazes.
- One new prize per four-Level Zone, all appearing at random in Zone 8.
- A distinct “?” graphic in the right-side prize indicator for random prizes.
- Four Stage progression play modes: Linear, Singular, Random A, and Random B.
- Newly designed colorful title screen with loads of selectable game options.
- Begin the game on any Stage desired, from 1-1 all the way to 8-4.
- Three selectable blue-Monster “vanishing mazes” options, like Pac-Man Plus.
- Brand new characters including Pac-Xavier, with classic characters returning.
- Four selectable speed options for Pac-Xavier before the game starts.
- Names for Pac-Xavier and the Monsters displayed on the main title screen.
- Choose to begin the game with as little as one or as many as seven lives.
- Opportunities to earn bonus lives every x20000, x50000, and x80000 points.
- The ability to choose whether or not to earn bonus lives at all.
- New status header above each maze, indicating current Stage and prize value.
- New CPU runtime indicator, alongside the top score and game score indicators.
- Only one free “pause” opportunity per Stage… be resourceful, use it wisely.
- Different Monster AI. Things have changed since the days of yore…
- Monsters’ “blue” times lengthened and adjusted for fairness and balance.
- Reprogrammed game code and mazes which utilize vertical tunnels.
- Dynamically varying game difficulty based on player performance per Stage.
- Special barrier pellets which can’t be eaten but instead block certain paths.
- The ability for Pac to cast relocation spells upon himself and the Monsters.
- Opportunities to earn new spells by catching both prizes in each Stage.
- Opportunities to earn spells and 2000-point bonuses for perfect Stage clears.
- The ability to save and store spells for later use, up to three.
- Begin the game with as many spells as desired, from none to three.
- Energy to cast spells acquirable via prizes, indicated by a “CAST” light.
- Remaining alive as being a condition for a “Perfect Clear” is selectable.
- Complete color and graphics makeover for all characters and mazes.
- Brand new, original twelve-frame death animation for Pac-Xavier.
- Brand new and/or tweaked sound effects. Every game sound has been changed.
- New original start music, unique and composed exclusively for Pac-Man Xtreme.
|Contributor||Type of contribution||Listed credit|
|KaBooM!||Production||Graphics, music, SFX, levels, and gameplay. Supplemental materials and beta testing.|
|DahrkDaiz||Hacking||Palette hack for Ms. Pac-Man (Namco) for NES making Pac-Man Xtreme’s colorful mazes possible.|
As Always, Good Luck and Have Fun.
How to Play
|Default Keyboard Mapping|
|Inside The Game||Your Keyboard|
|A, B Button =||[J],[K]|
|PLAY, SELECT =||[Enter], [SPACE-BAR]|
How to Save:Hover over the game canvas. A save button will appear at the top of the game screen. When you click "Save" button, the save code (spot) will be saved onto your browser's storage system automatically.
How to Load: Come back anytime in the future, simply click "Load" to resume from your latest save spot. (Assuming you did not clear your browser' data
Recommended Browser: Chrome