Chrono Trigger: Schala Edition!
Chrono Trigger Schala Edition is a fan-made game of Chrono Trigger
What if… Schala escaped from the Ocean Palace?
Chrono Trigger fans have been imagining what might’ve been for almost twenty-five years. Now, for the first time, an extensive ROM hack explores that question in Chrono Trigger: Schala Edition!
By the same author who created the Golbez Edition and General Leo Edition hacks of Final Fantasy IV and VI, this hack alters events so that Schala survives the Ocean Palace disaster. Magus leads Marle and friends on an expanded adventure through 12,000 BC in search of his sister, with a promise to help them retrieve their lost Crono… but only if they help him first. New locations, enemies, bosses and scenes await, ending in one of gaming’s most long-awaited reunions.
While recognizably based off of Ted Woolsey’s original 1995 translation, this hack features an extended and polished script, new Techs, new items and weapons, and lots of surprises along the way, bringing maximum nostalgia while also offering something new.
The Schala Edition patch will be exclusively available here at the Compendium through January 31, followed by wider release through romhacking.net. The author thanks everybody at the Compendium for their help and support, because this project never would’ve happened without them!
Try the hack today and thank you! See the included readme for details!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Here’s a rundown of just about everything that the patch changes.
Some behind the scenes and purely cosmetic edits are not listed
– There’s a ton of new text with some new scenes, new NPCs, and
lots of new opportunities for characters to interact.
– Many items, Techs, enemies, enemy abilities, etc. have had their
names and stats adjusted.
– “Walking in place” is virtually eliminated. If a person is
walking, and you stop them to talk, they will stop moving and
– The 1999 AD overworld is now a full map and appears instead of
the 1000 AD map during the bad ending.
– New map locations were added:
– 4 in 1000 AD (only one available from the start)
– 1 in 2300 AD (not available from the start)
– 3 in 65,000,000 BC (not available from the start)
– 8 in 12,000 BC (all on the “Last Village” map)
– Everybody in 600 AD now speaks in pseudo-Elizabethan prose.
– It’s possible to access a few previously unreachable places, such
as the area below the rafters in Arris Dome.
– The pointless roadblock no longer appears in 1000 AD Guardia
Forest during the late game.
– Once you get the Epoch it will always be waiting for you at the
End of Time; you can’t inadvertently “leave” it anywhere.
– The flying Epoch won’t time travel when you first get it. This
isn’t a bug; it’s part of the story.
– If you fail to save Lara, you can try again! You can go back to
the grove in Fiona’s Forest, but make sure Lucca is in your party
when you do!
– Magus is no longer optional as a party member; he will join as
part of the normal story progression.
– The second Techs for Crono, Marle and Lucca take a bit longer to
learn, but you should still have them before meeting Robo.
– Crono, Marle, Lucca and Frog all start with one Tech. Robo starts
with two, Ayla with three, and Magus with four.
– Marle and Frog both lost *Cure 2 in favor of new final Techs.
– Ayla’s Tailspin now does Lightning-element damage.
– Glenn is always returned to his human form in all versions of the
– Ending Glenn now more closely resembles his appearance in the PSX
ending cut scene.
– These items were removed:
– HyperEther (overpowered; makes Elixirs less valuable)
– Lapis (erodes specialties of Robo and Frog)
– Shield (erodes specialty of Lucca)
– Barrier (erodes specialty of Magus)
– Power Meal (pointless)
– Megalixirs are much more scarce. Only one can be found in a chest
and chances to steal from Ruminators are limited.
– Several new story items were added (Royal Pin, Bromide, etc.).
– There is now only one instance of each Accessory, aside from a
few that can be stolen from bosses at the Black Omen.
– The colored rocks are changed into superior “final” Accessories,
but still grant access to the special Triple Techs.
– Most shops have adjustments to their stock, and there are also a
few new shops.
– The armors at the Ioka trading hut update when the weapons do.
– New enemies were added, including bosses.
– Enemies no longer drop items. The only exceptions are the enemies
in 65,000,000 BC who drop trading materials.
– All enemies Ayla can face have an item to steal. Enemies Alya can
never face do not carry items.
– Spekkio always starts out with his Kilwala form and only grows
into stronger forms after you’ve beaten him in battle. This means
you can face the final form early for extra challenge.
– Enemies in Heckran’s Cave, aside from the Henches and Heckran,
respawn every time the whirlpool warp is accessed.
– All enemies and bosses can be fought in each instance of the
Black Omen (1000 AD, 600 AD, 12,000 BC).
– Lavos no longer goes through a boss medley sequence.
Just Have Fun!
How to Play
|Player 1 (Default Mapping)|
|Inside The Game||Your Keyboard|
|A, B, X, Y Button =||[J], [K], [I], [L]|
|L, R Button =||[U], [O]|
|PLAY, SELECT =||[Enter], [Space-Bar]|
How to Save: Hover over the game canvas. A save button will appear at the top of the game screen. When you click "Save" button, the save code (spot) will be saved onto your browser's storage system automatically.
How to Load: Come back anytime in the future, simply click "Load" to resume from your latest save spot. (Assuming you did not clear your browser' data.
CAUTION:: Browser's private mode WILL NOT retain your save state, because save state is deleted once the browser is closed, so don't use private mode if you want to use the save state.
Recommended Browser: Chrome
Chrono Trigger Schala Edition is a online Rpg Game you can play for free in full screen at KBH Games. Play Chrono Trigger Schala Edition using a online SNES emulator. Easily play Chrono Trigger Schala Edition on the web browser without downloading. Hope the game will bring a little joy into your daily life.